Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sweet Sunday Cheer

It's time for this week's Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge, SSC172.

This sketch is clean and simple and lends itself perfectly to some quick and easy cards for just about any occasion. Seeing as I {heart} Christmas, I went the Christmas card route. :-)


I wanted to use non-traditional colours so I used the CR84FN67 colour challenge of plum, gold and tan. I started with a card base of Sweet Tooth then layered some Grape Jelly cardstock (a version of plum in my mind). Then I searched through my gazillion 6x6 paper pads to find the perfect gold patterned paper from the My Mind's Eye Be Amazing collection. I inked the edges of the gold gingham paper with Antique Linen distress ink.

Then I used my 1 1/4" square punch to punch out four squares of Kraft and lopped off two corners with my corner chomper. Then I ran the squares through my swiss dots embossing folder. There really aren't a lot of plum patterned papers out there so I searched through my gazillion paper pads again and found the perfect one in my Lilybee Designs Picket Fence collection. I used the Christmas Ornaments Die-namics to cut out the ornament and attached it with a strand of Lilac twine. The Fishtail Flags Layers STAX Die-namics was perfect for cutting out the Sweet Tooth flag for the sentiment, which is from the new à la modes Sparkling Season.

Just because a card is clean and simple doesn't mean you can't give it a little extra attention and TLC. So I jazzed up the ornament with a thick layer of glossy accents then sprinkled on some glitter while it was still wet. I love the bit of detail this adds to a simple card. But you could always leave the ornament bare if you're making multiples of a card like this. Tip: I cut out a second ornament from Grape Jelly cardstock and adhered it to the patterned ornament before adding the glossy accents, because a thick coat of glossy accents can sometimes warp paper and I wanted to help prevent that.

On the inside I stamped the image from à la modes Sparkling Season and added another sentiment from the set.

I hope you'll play along with this week's sketch and link your creation on Karen's blog. Now it's time to hop around and see what the rest of the Sweet Sunday Stampers created.
Carole Burrage ***superstar guest designer***
Dana White
Dawn Easton
Jackie Pedro (she's taking this week off)
Lori Tecler
Lynn Put
Melissa Hubert
Sarah-Jane Kalé
Tracy Clemente
Vicki Burdick
and Karen Giron

Here are the supplies I used:



Pin It
Thanks for stopping by!
Karen


17 comments:

Caroline said...

This is gorgeous I love the colours you have used and the layout is beautiful. Caroline xxx

Dawn Easton said...

Karen, this is so sweet~ Love that shiney ornament!!! Great tip about adding a layer. I often forget and regret it afterward...lol

Tracy said...

Hold the phone! Karen this is absolultely perfect. And this color combo. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The topper is most definitely how you added the image inside. I must get this stamp!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! I love that color combo and your card is CAS perfection! Great take on the challenge. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Karen!
XO

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

This is so adorable, I love the colors and the fabulous design. Fabulous use of this sketch!

Deborah Frings said...

I think your clean, simple layout is just super. The bauble looks amazing and I love the inside! Thanks so much for playing along with CR84FN this week!

Mona Pendleton said...

So pretty Karen! Love the beautiful ornament and the embossed panels! Thanks so much for joining along with CR84FN :)

Leslie said...

This is SO pretty - that ornament is so sparkly! I LOL'd at your "gazillion" 6 x 6 pads! Thanks for that tip about an extra layer of cardstock before adding the glossy accents!

Shannon White said...

Ohh I Love this Karen!! Love your PRetty sparkly ornament and super take on the sketch! Just a Fabulous Christmas card inside and out! So glad yo could join us at CR84FN! 8-)

Hugs
Shannon

Vicki Burdick said...

Super sweet Karen, love that sparkly ornament!!

Karen Giron said...

I love this! I really like the embossed squares and how you notched just 2 corners - so fun! GMTA, right?? Love it!

Lori said...

Fabulous! Love the sparkly ornament and the gold and plum color scheme, too.

Vickie Z said...

Love that ornament....all glitzy and ready for Christmas!! Wonderful sketch and yes, I understand the gazillion paper pads....but, I always think I need more :)) Thanks for playing at CR84FN!!

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Absolutely love your shney ornament! It is so pretty! Great interpretation of the colors and the sketch. Thanks for playing with us cr84fn!!

Dana White said...

Karen this is awesome. The shiny ornament is perfect and the inside is super cute

Sue Lelli said...

Karen, LOVE the glitter in the glossy accents on you GORGEOUS ornament! LOVE the plum twin and how you made CAS look so PRETTY! THX for playing with us at CR84FN!

Lynn Put said...

Very pretty Karen! Love the detail on your ornament with glaze and glitter!