Tuesday, November 13, 2012

MFT New Product Tour - Lots of Little Santas

It's finally release time! But before you head off to fill your cart with goodies, the MFT design team has a little more inspiration recapping all the new stamp sets. Be sure to head over to the MFT blog for a full list of participating designers. Also, there's $50 blog candy voucher hidden along the way so be sure to leave comments as you hop along.

I have 4 projects to share today, because I couldn't stop thinking of things to create using Pure Innocence Little Santa, so you may want to grab a drink and settle in. This is a photo heavy post full of festive ideas.

I'll start with my Jolly Good Day card. I didn't really know how this card was going to look when I started out, but I love what it evolved into.


I started by first stamping Pure Innocence Little Santa with Memento Tuxedo Black onto X-Press It blending card. Then I coloured him with copic markers and paper pieced his gift bag. I added shimmer to his belt with my Stardust gelly roll pen then fussy cut him and added some white liquid appliqué to the fur trim. Tip: let your liquid appliqué dry for a couple of hours before puffing it to get small puffs like these.

Here's a shot of the dimension and texture from the liquid appliqué.

Then I set to work on the rest of the card. I used the Insert It - 3x4 Insert Die-namics (from last month's release) to cut out the Kraft and Wild Cherry rectangles, then I stamped the calendar from Journal It - Calendar Basics. I added a sentiment from Pure Innocence Little Santa to the top of the calendar then I cut out the Whip Cream snowflake using the Jumbo Snowflake Die-namics and tucked it under the rectangles. There's a strip of Kraft grosgrain ribbon separating the Jellybean Green background layer from the patterned paper (from the Simple Stories Handmade Holiday collection).

I used the High-Rise Numbers Die-namics for the date, and cut them from Wild Cherry cardstock. Then I used the smallest dots from Darling Dots, stamped with Wild Cherry ink, to add a fun detail. I used the High-Rise Alphabet Lowercase Die-namics for the month, cut from Jellybean Green cardstock and jazzed them up the exact same way as the numbers, but with Jellybean Green ink.

On the inside I used the Snow Drifts Die-namics to cut the patterned paper and I stamped Little Santa with Wild Cherry Ink. I used the Say What? Die-namics to cut out the talk bubble from Kraft cardstock and stamped another sentiment from Pure Innocence Little Santa.

**********
Next up I have an adorable rooftop scene that turned out just as I imagined it!! Love it when that happens!


I started by stamping Pure Innocence Little Santa with Memento Tuxedo Black onto X-Press It blending card then I coloured his face and boots with copic markers. I paper pieced the rest of his outfit and gift bag with papers from the Glitz Joyeux Noël paper pad and added sparkle to his belt buckle with my Stardust gelly roll pen. I added liquid appliqué for the fur trim and let it dry a couple of hours before puffing it, to get smaller puffs. 

Next I created the roof of the house by using the Simply Scallops Medium Die-namics to cut out four strips of corrugated cardboard. I layered the scallops from the bottom up, in a shingle-like pattern, onto the Nightshift Blue cardstock background. 

The chimney was easy to create. I started with a rectangle base of Steel Grey cardstock, which will act as the mortar colour for the bricks. Then I cut out strips of 1/4" wide Wild Cherry and Paver Red cardstock. I trimmed the strips down to a 1/2" in length to make up each brick. I adhered them with some 2-way glue then trimmed off the overhanging pieces and added the topper piece.

My favourite part of the chimney is the smoke. I used the new Medium Fancy Flourish Die-namics to cut out a piece of vellum, then I simply cut off two swirls. It seemed kinda blah so I added some Star Dust Stickles to the smoke and that's when the magic happened. The stickles caused the vellum swirls to curl and it gave it this cool dimension. Gotta love a happy accident!!! I added more liquid appliqué to the roof and chimney then I dotted on some falling snow using a small stylus tool and Copic Opaque White. Talk about a fun effect! 

On the inside I used the Say What? Die-namics to cut out the Kraft talk bubble and stamped "special delivery" with Memento Tuxedo Black. I added the Little Santa with Memento Toffee Crunch and used a leftover rectangle of polka dot paper as a gift. The bow is from the Winter Wreath Die-namics and I added a narrow strip of Kraft down the front of the gift to make it look 'wrapped'. I finished the inside with another sentiment from Pure Innocence Little Santa

**********
For my next card I'm switching to blue hues. Who says Little Santa's suit has to be red? Maybe he's a Santa's helper in training, or maybe it's just that I wanted a cooler feel to this card. LOL!


The patterned papers are from the Carta Bella Winter Fun paper pad and I embossed the background paper with my swiss dots embossing folder. I used the Snow Drifts Die-namics to cut out the Sweet Tooth felt hills and added some Star Dust Stickles to the top edge of each hill for some sparkle. I used the new Santa's Sleigh Die-namics to cut out the red patterned sleigh and the skis were cut out of Steel Grey cardstock

For my blue Santa I stamped him with Memento Tuxedo Black onto X-Press It blending card then coloured him with copic markers. I'm in awe of Michele's colouring and I totally cased her shading from this card she shared yesterday. I just love the way he turned out!!!

On the inside I stamped a sentiment from Seasonal Sentiments using Versamagic Aegean Blue ink.

**********
Last but not least, I wanted to use this little cutie for some gift tags. 


First I cut out the Sweet Tooth cardstock using the largest of the Traditional Tags STAX Die-namics, then I added a large eyelet and some Paver Red grosgrain ribbon. I tied the ribbon in place with a Paver Red button and some Hemp Cord

Next I cut out the Jumbo Snowflake Die-namics from Sno Cone cardstock and sprayed it with Maya Road Irisdescent Mist for lots of shimmer. To keep the tags quick to make I didn't want to spend a ton of time colouring the image so I stamped Pure Innocence Little Santa onto Kraft cardstock then coloured his fur trim with a white pencil. I added rosy cheeks (which don't look nearly as neon in real life as they do in this photo) using chalk. I finished the tag by cutting out some Paver Red icicles using the Icicle Border Die-namics and adding a Sno Cone button. I like how the square button kind of looks like a little gift box. Finally I stamped the "to" sentiment from Seasonal Sentiments with Memento Tuxedo black. These will be super easy to reproduce!

Thanks so much for sticking with me! Now go hopping and shopping!!!

Here are the supplies I used for each card.

Jolly Good Day card:



Special Delivery card:



Santa's Sleigh card:



Santa gift tag:




Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

48 comments:

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Gorgeous cards! Love the different variations of Santas! TFS!

zehra said...

Oh my you have been busy, your night time card takes the cake though it is simply too beautiful, love the effect of blue and white, awesome

Lisa Page said...

Great cards! How cute is that Santa! Thanks for sharing.

stampingbowd said...

Oh my!!!!! All of your cards are awesome! Love the scalloped roof AND I am thrilled that I picked up the flourish this time!!!! I wanted to add some smoke to a project I made last week but just didn't have anything dainty enough!! Now I will!!!

Beautiful sleigh and gorgeous snowflake DP!

Everything is amazing!

scrappingnana said...

Love all your different little santas. Great job on the roof and chimney with the smoke.

Vicki Burdick said...

so adorable Karen, I love all of them, your coloring is perfect as always, love the blue Santa suit too!!!

Amy said...

AMAZING!!! LOVE THE ROOF THAT YOU MADE ON THE CARD WITH THE NAVY BLUE SKY!!

Amy said...

AMAZING!!! LOVE THE ROOF THAT YOU MADE ON THE CARD WITH THE NAVY BLUE SKY!!

Davi said...

All the cards are totally delightful with all the fun elements. REally puts you in the Christmas mood :)

Felicia - Scrapper in the Making said...

Wowza! These are drop jaw gorgeous. Wish I could lift from the screen. Smooches...

Kelley said...

How fun are all of these projects! I'm hoping Santa just gives me cash this year. :)

Laureen said...

Karen, all of your Santa are HANDSOME! Love the non traditional Santa Claus outfits! Love your creativity!

Jacquie Southas said...

What a fabulous collection of cards!

Janice W. said...

Amazing!! So talented! Love your cards to bits!

Mona Pendleton said...

Holy smokes Karen! What a stunning collection of projects! I love all the layers and detail! You did an amazing job coloring the darling images! Thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa M said...

They're all absolutely beautiful. You've created some very cute scenes in your cards.

Inge Groot said...

Stunning set of cards and such a cute tag...LOVE!

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

Wow Karen! These are all amazing works of art. I think you may have "outdone" yourself :)
Brilliant!

Liz said...

Thanks for another fun release love tve blue santa suit. Thanks for inspiration happy holidays

Casandra Bennett said...

I bow to you.... Each card has so many unique elements. It's hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to choose, I love the second one for the scene you created, and the vellum smoke...wow!

Karen Day said...

Wow, Karen - great inspiration on how to use a stamp in so many ways! Fabulous projects today!

Shari said...

Oh Karen, wow! All your cards are beautiful and I love so much about each! Thank you for the applique tip, I could never seem to get small puffs! Love the rooftop idea too!

Hugs;
Shari

Cindi said...

These are all so gorgeous! I love all the little scenes you created. So cute!

Queen Mary said...

Karen I LOVE all the work you've done! I just wrote on Julie's comments that it seems like we're at the wedding of Cana with the really cool stuff coming out today! I didn't order Santa, I didn't see the possibilities you've show me! Second order coming up! Seriously, I love your chimney, I love his plaid bag, I love the sleigh.... You rock!

Birgit said...

Great cards! They're all so sweet.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness...DARLING!!!

wendy said...

WOWZERS ! Karen what fun, festive and creative cards, love the different techniques and fab coloring too ...

Sara I. said...

I could just stare at these for days - the roof and snow drifts you created are brilliant!! Love all the paper piecing you did, too!

Colleen said...

wow you have been a busy girl! I love all of the cards/tag that you made! Love the roof idea too.

Leslie said...

Um, okay, somebody is clearly trying to get on Santa's "nice" list!! I don't even know where to begin with my comments? You have outdone yourself my friend! I thought the first card was perfect, then I saw the second (which may I say is PERFECT and nice and flat for mailing to, oh, I don't know...Canada maybe?!), then I saw the blue santa and even Christal went "wooooow"! Your shading on all the santas is perfection from his perfect little nose to his suit to his boots to that burlap sack!! Love all of them but please add #1 and 2 to my "wish list"! :)

Craftyfield said...

Awsome cards ! You have a great eye for the small details, the applique on Santa's outfit, the chimney bricks, the roof tiles... What work !

Tara said...

Love this little guy and what amazing prjects you have created! So many details... love those bricks. All so beautiful!

jan farnworth said...

wonderful job on this.

Rosemary said...

fantastic set of cards and super cute tag!!

Regan said...

*squee* That is me squealing with delight! These are adorable! Each one so unique! I absolutely LOVE your rooftop scene! Awesome talent here!
{hugs}
Regan

Joan V said...

Fantastic cards and tag. This little PI santa boy is so darling. Thanks for sharing.

Alina said...

wow, Karen, beautiful cards, I love your roof scene! thanks for the inspiration!

Tracey said...

WOW!! Amazing projects!!

Houses Built of Cards said...

These are ALL so adorable!!! I really love the texture on the first couple of them especially!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Greta said...

Darling cards! Love how you used the Liquid Applique!

Angel said...

Gracious! Been a little busy!?! totally ADORE all of them!!!! that rooftop Santa is awesome!!!!

Makalah said...

Look at all those cute little scenes you created! Each is a little masterpiece!

Valerie said...

These cards and tags are just adorable!

Jenny said...

LOVE all your santa's! So happy that I ordered this lil PI :) Thanks for all the inspiration!

Crafty Math Chick said...

I love your attention to detail with all these little Santas - the coloring and paper piecing are fabulous!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

OMGosh these are all so fabulous, Love all the details and the cute designs

Miriam Prantner said...

Wow! These are so cute! Love all his different looks, and the fur trim on his outfit! Great layers and textures and I'm loving the smoke from the chimney on the second card!

Michele Boyer said...

These are ALL amazing! That whiff of smoke coming from the chimney is FABULOUS! I love your paper-piecing, the brick chimney, your coloring...ALL of it! :)