Monday, November 26, 2012

Poinsettia Centerpiece

It's time for the monthly My Favorite Things Design Team Creative Challenge!

The MFT Design Team Creative Challenge is a monthly feature, where we are challenged to explore our creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month, we were challenged to create Holiday Home Decor using our MFT Stamps and Die-namics.  Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for a list of all participating designers who have a project to share with you today. 


I decided to make a centerpiece using the gorgeous Poinsettia Die-namics. I just can't seem to get enough of this beautiful flower die with all it's detail in the embossed lines.

I started with a clear glass vase that narrows in the middle. I thought this shape was perfect for a belly band accent. I cut a 1.5" wide strip of Paver Red felt for the belly band and placed some velcro on the ends so it would be removable.

I used the Poinsettia Die-namics to cut out several flowers from both Whip Cream and Pink Lemonade card stocks. Then I inked all the edges of the flowers with Old Paper distress ink. I layered the flowers, alternating pink and cream, placing a foam booster between each for more dimension.

For the flower centers I used Hemp Cord to tie a Paver Red button, which brings together the bits of Paver Red felt that peek through between the leaves. To finish the flowers I added some chunky glitter to each petal for a little holiday sparkle.

I cut the leaves out of Jellybean Green felt and backed them with Jellybean Green card stock so I could bend them into position. A hot glue gun was perfect for adhering the completed flowers and leaves to the belly band, so the centerpiece looks good from every angle.

This is not a flattering photograph of my project, but I wanted to show you the inside of the Paver Red belly band with the velcro on each end.

To finish the centerpiece I placed the vase in a shallow basket and filled it half way with cranberries. Yup, regular ole fresh cranberries, and I placed a few around the base of the vase too. Then I topped it with a short pillar candle. I have mine on a round table, but you could easily create three of these and spread them out along a rectangular table. I love the festive finished look!

I have so many more ideas for home decor items, I just hope I can find the time to create them. I hope you'll make something festive for your home too.


Here are the supplies I used:


Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

17 comments:

Caroline said...

WOW I love this what a gorgeous gift for someone. Caroline xxx

PJH said...

Simple but oh sooo pretty!!

Leslie said...

You are SO creative! Very very pretty and that photo of the inside makes me think you could use it as a hairband too!

Kim said...

That's so pretty, Karen!!

Shannon Guindon said...

Seriously pretty Karen...I like that you've used the lighter, less frequently seen colours for the flowers.

wendy said...

stunning girlie, love this project so creative and Gorgeous!

Nancy L. said...

OMG!!! Karen, this is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! Really wishing I could own this die!

Sherrie said...

You and I were sharing a brain Karen! Love your candle ring and the soft pink petals!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful centerpiece Karen! Love you shimmery Poinsettias! Thanks for the inspiration!

Megan said...

Gorgeous centerpiece! I love the cranberries!

Michele Boyer said...

How PRETTY! And how clever that it's removable! I love it!

scrappingnana said...

So pretty. Love the alternating pink & white layers. A great idea to make it removable. A beautiful centerpiece.

Debbie Carriere said...

Gorgeous centerpiece!!! Love the colors and love that you made it removable!! Genius!

stampingbowd said...

Beautiful!!!! What a lovely centerpiece!

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

this is so beautiful, love this center piece and the fabulous flowers.

Dana White said...

Love this idea!!!!

Inge Groot said...

Beautiful centerpiece Karen!