Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Games Continue...

I'm talking about the Olympic games of course. Did you watch yesterday? WOW it was an amazing day for the US favourites on the slopes, in the halfpipe and on the oval.
I simply HAD to make a card to celebrate their incredible successes!!! Seriously...Shaun White defies gravity with the big air in the halfpipe! I was so glad he did his super-duper-top-secret-never-before-seen trick during his victory run even though he'd already won the gold. Talk about a crowd pleaser!!! And Lindsey Vonn had an amazing run despite her shin injury. And Shani Davis...he can skate!!! I could practically feel the power as he pulled away and skated to gold. Oh My Goodness!!! A BIG congratulations to ALL the athletes...you're so amazing and inspiring!!! I'm watching the women's halfpipe as I type this up.
I pulled out my Daisyboard-aBella image for this card. She's stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black onto Bella's Bestest Paper and coloured with copics. I paper pieced her pants and vest...good thing it's warm enough in BC for her to be wearing a vest! LOL!!! I added a little fluff to her hat and boots with white Liquid Appliquee coverd in glitter then I 'waxed' up her snowboard with my clear Glaze pen.

The patterned papers are from the SU Ski Slope collection. I couldn't resist using it...the name is just perfect for this celebratory card!!! I kept plenty of white on this card because it's the Winter Olympics and there's so much snow everywhere. Some Glitter dots create the ring around the image and I finished it with a baja blue ribbon.
During the opening ceremonies, when I saw the Canadians wearing the fun red mitts with the maple leaf on the palm, I called my BFF and immediately asked her to pick me up a pair. Well, little did I know that there was already a pair on it's way to me and they arrived today!!! I'm so excited to wear them! Thanks so much Dana, you're the BEST!!!!
Just one more thing to talk about in this post. My fellow Bella Babe Joanne is having a fun Blogaversary celebration with three weeks of challenges. This card is my entry for the first week's challenge...paper piecing. Go have a peek and play along...she's got some awesome candy to give away!

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

9 comments:

Dana White said...

super cute card but the mittens rock!! See I always think of my BFF :)

Leslie said...

Awesome card! LOVE her waxed snowboard and yes, it was warm enough for just a vest on her but it's supposed to cool down on the w/e so can you get her a coat please?! LOVE the mittens - so glad you have some now. We ALL have them.

Karen Giron said...

I agree!!! These athletes are stellar this year and I am loving the snowboarding, so cool! Your card is just super cute and gold metal worthy :D Did you know that those mittens are no where to been seen in Vancouver??? Well, unless you can fit your hands in child sizes.... You are one lucky gal!

Paula Barin said...

Love the colouring on your card.
The Olympics are fabulous! Go Canada. Aren't the mitts the best... they're so toasty warm.

Lisa H. said...

this is fabulous. great tribute to the games! love what you did here!

Unknown said...

So caaaaauuuuuute!!

Meahni Pieterse said...

Great card, I am so pleased I don't need such a warm outfit :-)

Stacey Schafer said...

love your work, Karen! i'm in the market for my first set of Copics and am needing some advice. any suggestions on purchasing these?...set(s) or individully...what shades...sketch or original? thanks for any input you have to share:)

expatmom (Colleen H.) said...

I love that colour combo, Karen. It really pops agains the white background! Good job! :)