Monday, June 24, 2013

Make a Wish

*** please scroll down for my Six Months 'til Christmas post ***

It's time for the monthly Design Team Creative Challenge from My Favorite Things. This month we were challenged to make a masculine card. I used to really shy away from masculine creations because they aren't the easiest to make...it would be so much easier if guys liked flowers and bows. LOL! However, there's a lot of testosterone in my family and hubby's family combined so I've become much more comfortable creating manly cards, out of necessity.

Be sure to hop over to the MFT Blog for a complete list of today's participating designers. I know the team has some fabulous ideas to share!

In my experience, simpler is better when it comes to guy cards. I took my own advice on this clean and simple birthday card. But don't be fooled...clean and simple doesn't always equate to quick and easy...this one took me about an hour and a half, fooling with placement and colours of everything.


I started with the Birthday Sentiments and stamped 'make a wish' with versamark ink directly onto the Sweet Tooth card base. Then I heat embossed it with white embossing powder. Then I used the Insert It-Speech Bubble Die-namics to cut out a mask and adhered the outer frame around the sentiment (I used removable adhesive). Then I used a sponge and some Blu Raspberry Premium Dye Ink to ink the negative space and create the blue speech bubble shape. I had created my mask from plain copy paper so the lines are nice and crisp around the edges. Then I used the Insert It-Speech Bubble Die-namics again to cut out the Red Hot piece and used the outer piece to frame the sentiment.

Birthday Sentiments has lots of wonderful, large, graphic sentiments but there are also a few small ones tucked in the set too, so I combined two of them to create the sentiment in the Orange Fizz talk bubble. The talk bubble was cut out using the Say What? Die-namics.

I used the Chat Bubbles Die-namics to cut out the Sour Apple chat bubble then stamped another of the smaller sentiments from Birthday Sentiments. I ran the chat bubble through the die again to shorten it a little. I wanted to reinforce the birthday theme so I used the Party Hat Border Die-namics to cut out the single hat from Lemon Drop, Orange Fizz, and Blu Raspberry cardstocks. It's difficult to see in the photo but I added a pattern to the yellow party hat base using the Border It-Mod Borders and Lemon Drop Premium Dye Ink. I topped the party hat with a green enamel dot.

On the inside I stamped another sentiment from Birthday Sentiments using Blu Raspberry Premium Dye ink then added another party hat. I'm loving the look of the party hats on top of the sentiments!

Don't forget to hop over to the MFT Blog for a list of participating designers.

Here are the supplies I used:



Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

11 comments:

Tracey said...

I adore this card!! The colours are awesome!!

Cheryl said...

Great Karen! Nice, bold colors and neat elements!

wendy said...

super fun card!

Tricia T said...

Very nice!! I like the graphic look to the card!!

Karen Giron said...

Love, love, LOVE the bold colors with the white embossing - wow!!!

Jodi Collins said...

Karen, I ADORE this!! LOVE the layout and the bold colors! The white embossing is PERFECTION!!!

Queen Mary said...

Graphic and bright and pieced perfectly! Stunning.

Sherrie said...

So bright and cheerful....perfect for the challenge!

Mona Pendleton said...

So cute Karen! Love the fun and cheerful color palette!

Amy Rohl said...

Fan-flipping-tastic, Karen! LOVE the color combo and all of your fun details! The white embossing is the bang, just perfect!

Mary J said...

Such a brilliant birthday card, Karen! I love how you used all those bright colours together against the white!