Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fa-la-la-la-la

Last week I had a request to create an African skin toned girl. Now I must admit, I haven't tried that skin tone before because it makes me really nervous using darker shades on skin, but I can't turn down a request so I gave it a whirl.


And I'm quite pleased with how she turned out!!! I practiced with different colours on one image and didn't like the result so I tried again and this is how it turned out. Her face was a little dark at first but what I love about copic markers is how the colours layer, so I went over her face at the end with a lighter shade (either the E02 or E11, I can't recall) and I'm quite happy with the result.

The layout is SC413, flipped on it's side. I started with a card base of Whip Cream then layered on some Kraft and Wild Cherry card stocks. I used the Oval 1 STAX and Oval 2 STAX Die-namics to cut out the Hot Fudge cardstock and the patterned paper, which is from the Echo Park Very Merry Christmas collection. I stamped the girl from Pure Innocence Christmas Caroler with Memento Tuxedo Black onto X-Press It Blending Card then coloured her with copic markers and fussy cut around her. I added some white liquid appliqué to the fur on her boots but left it shiny instead of puffing it.

For the embellishment I created a loopy Hemp Cord bow (find my tutorial here) topped with a Whip Cream button. I used the Notched Tag Die-namics to cut out the Whip Cream tag then stamped the sentiment. I added a strip of Kraft grosgrain ribbon to the vertical element and used the Small Scallop Border Die-namics for the decorative edge.

On the inside I stamped another sentiment from Pure Innocence Christmas Caroler and added a couple strips of paper.

Here are the supplies I used:


Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Stunning card Karen the layout is gorgeous as is the colours used. Caroline xxx

Leslie said...

It's Christal!!! Excellent job on her shading and her hair is perfect! Love the little boots too!!

Dana White said...

Christal will love this girl!!