Monday, February 22, 2010

Shadowed Flowers

Here's a card I made a while ago but haven't shared here yet. I sent this to a friend as a sympathy card and I hope it brought a smile to her face.

I used Discover Your Wings from Taylored Expressions and broke out my embossing powder and kraft cardstock. I first stamped the image with Memento Tuxedo black onto kraft cardstock, let it dry a few minutes then I stamped it again with Versamark. I used my stamp-a-majig to position the second image just slightly up and to the right of the black image. Then I embossed with vanilla powder. The end result is a slight shadow effect that gives the image nice dimension.

The layout is a past sketch from the CCEE Stampers blog. I paired the kraft cardstock with Choice Buttercream and a soft coral patterned paper from My Mind's Eye. I added a little stitching and pattern with a Cuttlebug folder before tying the vanilla bow. I only had white Kaisercraft pearls, which were too stark, so I coloured them with a copic before adding them to the card.

Did you watch the USA-Canada hockey game last night! I was glued to the TV the entire game. Oh my goodness it was an exciting game and so quick paced too! Sadly Canada lost 5-3 but the US goalie, Ryan Miller, was amazing in net...he won it for them IMHO! While the US team rests I'll be cheering for Canada in their next few games...oh wait...I won't see those games living here in the US...doh! Then I'll be getting the updates from my BFF and hopefully we'll see a re-match in the finals! By the way, I want to say thank you to those of you who suggested websites to help me keep up with the Olympics...much appreciated!  :)

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

12 comments:

Alex said...

This is beautiful Karen! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Karen Giron said...

Wowzers!!! This is absolutely stunning! Love the embossing and those flowers.

We were glued to the TV too! I cannot believe how many amazing saves Miller had, including the "lay down in front of the goal and pray the puck in under me" saves. LOL! It was like watching Stanley Cup hockey - loved it!

Leslie said...

That hockey game almost did me in (as you well know), it was fun "watching" it with you! GO CANADA!

Leslie said...

Ooops! Forgot to say your card is very nice and I'm sure your friend did smile. LOVE your new photo too with your Olympic mittens!

Danni said...

Beautiful card!

The Spotted Chick said...

Holy cow, this is STUNNING Karen!! Gotta try that shadow effect. Wow, what a difference the black shadow makes!! AWESOME card!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS, Karen! LOVE it!

Ann Kranitz said...

Gorgeous and I LOVE your new avatar!!! You are showing your "true" colors!! Such a fun picture!!

Margaret de Witt said...

Wow Karen - this card is truly beautiful. The texture of the card and the layout is stunning.
Great Job!!!

Ida said...

What a lovely card. It really is so pretty.

Monika/Buzsy said...

Beautiful card Karen. Love the colors, the embossing! TFS!

Nancy said...

WOW! The image pops, Karen. This is gorgeous.