Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sweet Sunday Birthday Wishes

It's time for this week's Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge, SSSC138.

This is a fun sketch so don't let it scare you away. When I first saw the sketch I wondered how I'd figure out the proper width of the diagonal panels. Then I remembered a great tip from Jen Tapler. Open the file in Photoshop Elements, resize it to the size of a card (4.25 x 5.5) and print. Then just use a ruler to measure the width of the panels...presto...the three middle panels on my card are strips of paper that measure 1 5/8" wide. Thanks Jen!

Once I was able to look beyond those angled panels, I knew this was the perfect sketch for the birthday cards I needed to make for my brothers' (twins) birthday. I used the It's Your Birthday à la carte stamp from Taylored Expressions...simple, quick and masculine!

It's been so long since I made a masculine card that I had to dig to the back of my patterned papers to find the manly patterns. I ended up choosing two collections from the My Mind's Eye Lime Twist line, Fly a Kite and Out of the Blue. As I chose the papers to work with I realized they contained nearly all the same colours, which allowed me to colour the image with exactly the same copic markers for both cards...sweet!  Then I gave the letters two coats of clear glaze pen to gloss them up.

Plenty of stitching and the star border die give just the right amount of detail to the background piece. I added yellow ribbon under the green star die cut so the stars in the center would be yellow and not show the different patterned papers.

I hope you'll play along with this week's sketch and link your creation on Karen's blog. Now it's time to hop around to the rest of the Sweet Sunday Stampers and see what they came up with!
Dana White
Jen Tapler
Lynn Put
Sarah-Jane Kalé
Vicki Burdick
and Karen Giron

Here's the die I used:

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

10 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

So fun, Karen! Love the great colours! Thanks for the tip on the panels ;)

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

What fun cards! I really do like the way the panels look! and thanks for the tip :)
hugs, margie

Vicki Burdick said...

Pure Perfection Karen!! I so love the colors on these and you know I am such a big fan of your coloring skills girl, YOU ROCK!!!

Lynn Put said...

Oh this is awesome! Love these bright colors and fun pattered papers with this cute TE image!

Crafty Cath said...

This card really caught my eye...first I love the way you layered the design paper because it draws your eye in. Then you see the lovely hand made border you added. It's simple but adds so much! Awesoem card!

Leslie said...

Yes, this layout really freaked me out but thanks to your tips I might give it a try! Love your doodling too!!

Dana White said...

This is perfect for your brothers birthday - thanks for the tip on the card

Anonymous said...

How great fun cards !!!
I Found many tips for making cards by easy way!!thanks to your tips I might give it a try.....:)
plastic key tags
id card printing urgent

Unknown said...

GREAT card, love the FUN & BRIGHT colors you used!

Jodi Collins said...

LOVE these! I hope to try my hand tonight at this sketch...it scares me a bit :)