Monday, March 16, 2009

Branching Out for Christmas

I feel like I'm so far behind on my stamping after an entire day of travel on Sunday then all the running around errands I had to do on Monday. Plus, I'm cutting like a mad woman prepping my project for Stamp New England this weekend ({{{waves}}} to everyone who will be there...I'm SO excited...4 more sleeps!). I just have to keep telling myself that it doesn't matter if I get all my regular challenges done...right? :)

I've been wanting to make a Christmas card with my Branching Out & Branching Out Coordinates from Taylored Expressions ever since I got the sets. One of the first things I noticed about the Coordinates set is there are two Christmas ornaments. That makes the set even MORE versatile. So today I was finally able to put my vision to paper and this is what I came up with. I used Taylor's Cupcake Challenge sketch #59 for the layout.

I first stamped the solid branch image with Memento Rich Cocoa onto Choice Snow White card stock and cut it out with a square Nestabilitie. Then I stamped the ornaments, bird and birdhouse with Memento Tuxedo Black. I coloured the images with copics and popped the bird, birdhouse and one ornament for dimension. I added Christmas Red Stickles to the ornaments and some red Tiny Twinkles to the roof line on the birdhouse. My favourite part though has to be the snowy roof and branch. I just couldn't resist adding some white Liquid Applique for a wintry feel. The blue background was an afterthought...I wanted the snow and images to stand out more so I coloured in a sky with B000.

The finished card is 5.25 inches square. The base layer is Always Artichoke which I ran through the Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder. The patterned papers are from the Basic Grey Wassail line and they're layered onto chocolate chip. The chocolate twill is from the Taylored Expressions store...it has a faint shimmer to it, plus, it's chocolate so I couldn't resist picking it up!

This is one more card to add to my growing pile of Christmas cards. Seriously...I never thought I'd keep up with one a week, but now I look forward to a little "winter break" from the more seasonal cards at this time of year.

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

14 comments:

Norine said...

this is the cutest card love the birds
Hugs
Norine

Melissa Craig said...

This is a beautiful card!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card! :)
Vanja

Janet said...

what a neat card! love it:) 6 more sleeps!!
hugs

Jane Wetzel said...

I LOVE THESE COLORS! WOW...this is sooo cute!

Leslie said...

Yes, of course you have permission to skip a few days/challenges this week as you prep for Stamp New England! Cute card. I like the ornament in the bird's mouth - clever.

Dana White said...

This is such a great card LOVE how you found a way to make a the branching out sets so versatile - I will have to start playing with my set!!

Jami said...

Oh my goodness this is so stinkin' cute! Love the little bird decorating his place for Christmas!

Unknown said...

This is EVEN CUTER in person, I just love it. The copic work is beautiful and what a clever idea!

Thanks for keeping me company nestie cutting last night! Sweet glasses!

Leanne said...

Karen, how cute is this! The sign of a great card is that I immediately link to the mfr page to see how much the stamp costs. lol After seeing your darling card... I must have it!

Denise Marzec said...

Very Very VERY cute...oh my word, Christmas! You're way ahead of the game!!

Anonymous said...

What, you didn't get enough of snow while you were here!!! I mean I love the damn card but no Xmas!!!! Happy happy spring spring!

Donna Baker said...

oh my word-this is precious! I love the snow on the birdhouse & branch. I'm going to have to CASE this idea! thanks for sharing

Stamp and Smile said...

Just priceless!! Love all the details and you have a super fun time over your long stamping weekend... I can't wait to see all the FABULOUS card creations when you come back... SMILES!! :)