Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm Super Pumped!

I really AM super pumped!!! Yesterday was a day of fabulosity: I went onto Jen del Muro's blog to check her weekend sketch and discovered that I had won her blog tart from last week. Woo Hoo! BIG thanks Jen! Then, after much searching on the internet for a decent priced flight, I officially booked my trip to Calgary in March to visit my BFF Dana. There was already a spring in my step from winning blog tart (my very first blog candy too), so you could have called me "Tigger" after my flight was booked...I was bouncing all around the house! Then, it's hubby's birthday on Monday so we went out for a yumalicious dinner to celebrate. Oh, and this one's gonna sound silly, but it's often the little things that make me happy...we were at Barnes & Noble in the afternoon and I picked up a mini book light, and it's pink!  :) 

In celebration of booking my flight, I just had to make a card for Dana, and I really wanted to use our favourite colours (mine is pink...shocking I know! and her's is pumpkin). Coincidentally, I had just picked up some new Stephanie Fizer digital papers from MFT stamps and the pack I chose was the perfect colours. I have to tell you, I was a little skeptical about digi papers, but I'm totally over that now! I LOVE them! It's so easy...buy, download, print, create. New paper in a matter of minutes. Make a wrong cut or run out of paper, just print another piece. Easy peasy! 

The card actually evolved as I was creating it. It didn't start out in my mind looking like a window display in a fancy boutique, but I'm 'super pumped' with how it turned out. {grin!} It doesn't show in the photo, but I even included a piece of acetate for the look of a real window.  As the design was evolving I wasn't sure if it would work with Jen's Sketch For You To Try this week, but in the end, the top seemed bare and the corner accent was just what it needed. 

I used two MFT stamp sets, Window Shopping and Meet Me at the Cafe (for the awning). The shoes, boot and platforms are all paper pieced. I used two rectangle nesties to cut out the window frame. The card base is Gina K 120lb pure luxury with a piece of Pink Pirouette which I ran through the 'textile' cuttlebug folder. For the sentiment, I stamped it onto the striped paper then cut out a banner shape. I added a row of Hero Arts gemstones along the bottom then two flowers and bonbons from Stamping Bella. The orange flowers in the top corner are layered Primas with a Bella bonbon in the center. 

There's lots of dimension on this card and it looks so much better in real life. You know how it is when you finish a card and it just makes you happy to look at it? Well, this card does that for me.  :)

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

12 comments:

Leslie said...

Congratulations - that is SO exciting....but what's more exciting is that you're seeing Dana soon!! Your card is perfect - pink, pumpkin and pumps!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! LOVE LOVE LOVE this card! I am sending the link to Kim to make sure that she sees it, too! Got your email and I will get those goodies out to you this week! Hugs-Jd

Kim said...

Love this Karen!!! Really, really love it!!!!

Nicky said...

congrats Karen !!!! I am doing the happy dance for you , Jen has great taste. Love your card.

Nicky

Barbara said...

OMG! I would love shopping in this adorable shoe boutique! The colors, textures and 3-dimensional treatments are P-E-R-F-E-C-T!

Dana White said...

You know I had to look at the card It is STUNNING & You know I am SUPER PUMPED too my BFF :)

Norine said...

this is so nice love the little shop how creative
hugs
Norine

Shannan Teubner said...

Oohh Karen this is fantastic! I love it!

Janet said...

wow such an amazing card! i am pumped for ya too! you guys will have a fab week i am sure:)
hugs

Stamp and Smile said...

I'm so happy for you! Such a great day of surprises, goodies and food! He!! Your card is ASWESOME!! I would be PUMPED TOO... Smiles! :)

Corie said...

Congrats on the blog tart win -- love this card it is absolutely stunning!!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, I love it!