Monday, April 22, 2013

Scooting By

It's time for the monthly Design Team Creative Challenge with My Favorite Things, where we are challenged to explore our creativity with a specific theme, product or technique. This month the challenge was to build a scene using MFT stamps and Die-namics. FUN!

I must admit, I used mostly Die-namics for my card today but I sure had a good time building this little cityscape!


I started with a Sweet Tooth card base then added a layer of Kraft, and I built my scene on Sno Cone so I'd have a blue sky to work with.

I started by choosing the You Move Me stamp set and the coordinating You Move Me Die-namics for all the little elements. I used the Skyline Border Die-namics to cut out the Black Licorice skyline and the Solid Skyline Die-namics to cut out the coordinating Lemon Drop skyline, then I simply adhered them together to get all that lovely light in the windows of the buildings. Along the bottom of the card I stamped the tire tracks from You Move Me using Black Licorice Premium Dye Ink. I know it's not a road stamp, but it gives the idea of a road. Then I used the station wagon shape (otherwise known as a "grocery getter" in my house growing up...we always had station wagons and I have three brothers, so my mom was always going for groceries...and one of the wagons was orange...yes, really!...just like on my card, and everyone in town knew it and people waved regardless of who was driving...we called it the Pumpkin-mobile...LOL! My brothers learned to drive in the Pumpkin-mobile (with super hot and sticky-don't-wear-short-shorts vinyl seats in the summer) but thankfully we had a shiny new grey one by the time it was my turn to learn...sorry, I digress...back to the card) from You Move Me Die-namics to cut out the Sour Apple, Orange Fizz, and Lemon Drop cars. I popped the green and yellow cars on foam tape for dimension, and placed them so it looks like the yellow car is passing the orange one (I think I'm driving the yellow car...leading the pack).

Next I used the Sunshine Die-namics to cut out the Lemon Drop sun and placed it in the corner. I topped it with a Lemon Drop button tied with Hemp Cord. I stamped a few small white clouds using the larger of the cloud images from You Move Me and some white chalk ink.

I couldn't have a cityscape without an airplane so I used the plane from You Move Me Die-namics to cut out the Red Hot airplane. I stamped the contrail with Sno Cone Premium Dye Ink. I wanted the plane to look like it was going up through the clouds so I used the Cloud Trio Die-namics to cut out the two smaller sizes of clouds from Sweet Tooth felt (I backed them with Sweet Tooth cardstock for added stability). The smallest cloud is popped with a double layer of foam tape for even more dimension.

On the inside I stamped the sentiment from You Move Me using Black Licorice Premium Dye Ink then added the scooter with Orange Fizz Premium Dye Ink and the exhaust puffs with Lemon Drop Premium Dye Ink.

Hop over to the MFT Blog for a complete list of all participating designers. I hope you'll take the challenge to create a scene using stamps and Die-namics from My Favorite Things.

Here are the supplies I used:



Pin It

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

6 comments:

StampOwl said...

Such a fun cityscape

Amy Rohl said...

This is so fun, Karen! It's absolutely perfect!!

Tricia T said...

What a great scene with the sun reflecting off the windows!!

Sherrie said...

Oooooo, I Love that you did a city scene! Way cool!

Mona Pendleton said...

Lovin' the city scene Karen! What fun colorful cars!

Leslie said...

Cute card but an even cuter story! :)