Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Taylored Expressions Sneak Peek Day 1-You're My Hero

Let the sneak peeks begin!!! I'm super excited about the new set, You're My Hero, the Baker's Dozen is showcasing today. I think it'll Rock Your World!!! It's fresh & fun and it's also the new charitable set for the TE Giving Tree Program. The new products will be available at Taylored Expressions from 8am Friday, March 5th.

You're My Hero was inspired by and designed in honour of Taylor's 10 year old neighbour, Darrin Zimmerman, who passed away last fall from cancer. Please visit Taylor's blog for the full story. $7 from the sale of each You're My Hero set will be donated to CureSearch. CureSearch unites the world's largest childhood cancer research organization, the Children's Oncology Group, and the National Childhood Cancer Foundation through their mission to cure childhood cancer. Research is the key to the cure.
The possibilities are endless for this set. Next week I'll be in Calgary visiting my BFF (5 more sleeps!) and I have a nephew there who's birthday is next week, so I used You're My Hero and the Rock Star Key Ingredients to create his birthday card and a fun altered composition book. I used sketch SC269 from Splitcoast for the layout on my card.
The guitar is stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black onto Choice Snow White and coloured it with copics. I used my orange Spica glitter pen to add a smidge of sparkle to the flames, which ties in nicely with the orange glitter brads from the Rock Star Key Ingredients. I used my stamp positioner to line up the handle and the guitar head. There are actually four different guitar heads included in You're My Hero, but I thought Carter would get a kick out of the flames. He's turning 12 and actually appreciates hand-made cards, so I know he'll love this one.
The patterned papers in the Rock Star Key Ingredients are from the We R Memory Keepers Teen Angst collection and they're so cool! The piece I used on my card has a silver foil line running through it. I also love how the sentiments in You're My Hero have a bit of a grunge feel with letters that have a scratched up look.
Next I decided to alter a composition book using the Rock Star Key Ingredients and You're My Hero. I stamped the three guitars with Memento Cantaloupe, Bamboo Leaves and Summer Sky then added the rock star shadow with Memento Tuxedo Black. The image is cut out with Labels One Nestabilities and for the black mat I simply traced around the outside of the same nestie then cut it out with scissors.
I love the tone on tone effect of stamping the circle splatter and the star with Versamark onto the green and yellow papers. The star border punch was a logical choice for this project then I stitched everything together before adhering it to the book. I think the edges of the ribbon will look even more cool once they fray a little and the stitching will stop it from going too far.
To personalize the book even more I used chipboard letters from my stash. I used the funky Glazed Glitter technique that Jen del Muro shared in this post on her blog. I used Black Diamond Stickles but then to keep with the grunge feel of the stamped words, I covered the letters with Ranger Crackle Accents. It's a little difficult to see the crackle because of the black background but trust me...they look cool and sparkly in a "guy" kinda way!

You're My Hero is the same deeply etched rubber as all the Taylored Expressions sets but it will need to be trimmed when you receive it. This is to keep manufacturing costs as low as possible to maximize the amount donated to CureSearch. The set was designed with teens and tweens in mind, but I see myself using it for both masculine and feminine cards for my brothers, sisters-in-law, and friends. It would be perfect for a scrapbook page too or to wrap up a pair of concert tickets or an iTunes gift card! This set just makes me want to go play Rock Band!!!

I know the rest of the Baker's Dozen will have many more ideas with You're My Hero and the Rock Star Key Ingredients so let's hop over and take a look.
Alex Maldonado
Carolina Butching
Charmaine Ikach
Donna Baker
Jackie Pedro
Jeanie Witmer
Jodi Collins
Karen Giron
Melissa Sauls
Nancy McKinney (stamp designer extraordinaire!)
Sankari Wegman
and Taylor Van Bruggen

I'll be back tomorrow with sneak peeks of two more egg-cellent sets!

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

15 comments:

Taylor said...

Such fun projects, Karen! Love your altered notebook and those glossy letters!

jjcreations said...

Both of these projects are fantastic Karen. I love these images....going to have to check them out!! I also love the paper you've used on the card at the top- it is so cool. Have a wonderful day.

Carolina said...

What a darlin' card...love the way you colored the guitar and the piercing with stitching is a nice touch!

The background on your notebook is the best - so many fun details and what a chipboard letters just pop with the Glazed Glitter technique...too fun!

Melissa Sauls said...

Ooooh oooh OOooooh!!!! I just looooove that you used your copics to color in the guitar!! It looks soooo pretty! The altered notebook rocks too!!! Love how you alternated the guitars back and forth as a background...super awesome!

Jodi Collins said...

Oh how absolutely SAUCY these are! That guitar card ROCKS my world! Your coloring is FIERCE on it!! LOVE the altered notebook with the soft guitars in the background too!

Nancy said...

I love when Jodi says 'saucy'! I agree...fantastic!! Great colours, layout, vibe...

Karen Giron said...

Oh wow, this is amazing! He is gonna love this and the book is incredible, especially with the altered chipboard!

Jackie Pedro said...

That card just pops off the screen!! Awesome card and I LOVE the notebook. The letters look amazing!

Sankari W. said...

That is one amazing blog post! LOVE the first card - those colors are amazing the way you put them together and the second personalized one is awesome - love your "they look cool and sparkly in a "guy" kinda way!" lol!!! LOVE it!!!
Big hugs K!
Sankari :)

The Spotted Chick said...

Oooh Karen, these are such fun. Love the flamin' rocker guitar!!

Christiana said...

Very cool! Rock on, Sista!

Donna Baker said...

WHOA!!!!

Janet said...

OMG this is sooooooooo going to be my first purchase of 2010!!! :)
hugs

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

These are fabulous, Karen! LOVE the notebook!

Amy Sheffer said...

Awesome projects!